Here is a fuss free guide explaining why and how to activate your nuts at home.
It sounds like a lot if work initially but once you get the hang of it and do large batches it’s really simple. Activating in the process of destroying the outer enzymes of the nut by soaking in lightly salted water. But enzymes are a good thing right? Yes and no.. The enzymes of nuts have been cleaverly designed to keep them from prematurely sprouting in nature, until the weather changes and they can sit in the moist ground for long periods.
But what that means for our digestive system is a lot of hard work.
Never fear, the solution is simple- soaking them.
By soaking your nuts you are making them bio available, meaning the body can easily draw all the nutrients from them.
Here’s a brief description of how I activate my nuts , and seeds too!
1) Start by rinsing your nuts and seeds thoroughtly. I like to fill a large bowl with water, tip the seeds in and give them a good clean, then tip them in a colander and start rinsing as it saves a lot of water.
2) Once the water runs clear, transfer the nuts to a large bowl with clean / purified water. It’s important to use a healthy source of water because the nuts and seeds will absorb quite a lot of it.
3) Soak nuts/ seeds for recommended period of time depending on each variety. I’ll include a brief idea, but from experience it’s pretty hard to stuff them up. The only nuts to be careful of over soaking are cashews, or they become slimy!
Almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts- 12hrs
Sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds /pepitas – 12hrs
4) Add sea salt (1 tsp for ever 1 cup of nuts, 2 tsp for every 1 cup of seeds) and mix well; leave nuts to soak at room temperature away from direct sunlight.
5) Drain water from nuts and rinse thoroughly. Transfer to colander and place on a clean tea towel to absorb extra water.
6) Transfer to dehydrator or oven on the lowest possible temperature until dried thoroughly (around 12hrs)
7) Once dry store in an air tight container in the pantry.
The above is only a guideline, that I’ve personally found works well. I’m not too worried if my nuts are over soaked , they still get a lovely crunch once dried. Don’t feel like you have to get up in the night to check your soaking nuts! ☺️