This is a great recipe to double and have ready to go in the fridge for a wholesome breakfast when you are short on time. It’s very versatile so can be topped with a variety of toppings to mix things up.
It’s got a lot more protein than oats as well as good fats and cinnamon to help stabilise blood sugar levels. It’s also a great gluten free option.
- 1 cup of quinoa
- 4 cups of water
- 270ml of coconut milk ( one can)
- 1/4 cup of chia seeds
- 1/2 Tbsp of cinnamon
- 1 tsp of pure vanilla essence
- 3 Tbsp of pure maple syrup, honey or rice malt
- Pinch of pink salt
- Rise quinoa well- otherwise it will have a bitter taste.
- In a large saucepan add quinoa, and water.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer uncovered for 10-12 mins.
- Turn off heat, add all other ingredients. Stir well
- Sit for 5mins, covered.
- If the porridge is still too thick add more water or coconut milk.
- Serve with your choice of fresh fruit and toppings.
Note: If stirring this and using later on, add another 1/4-1/2 a cup of water as the chia seeds will keep absorbing liquid.