These muffins have a lovely dense texture we all crave when it comes to banana bread, with out all the sugar!
The icing is optional, it makes them feel a little more special but if your pressed for time they are still yummy on their own, or warmed and served with a nob of coconut or grass fed butter.
I’ve added Maca for something different, it gives them a nice nutty flavor, but please don’t feel like you need to rush out to buy it just to make these, it can be easily left out.
I hope you enjoy this wholesome recipe, feel free to comment below with any questions or to let me know how yours turned out.
- 1 cup of almond meal
- 1/4 cup of coconut flour
- 1 Tbsp of Maca powder
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 1 tsp of baking soda
- A pinch of pink salt
- 3 organic eggs
- 3 small or 2 medium bananas
- 1/4 cup of maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp of melted coconut or grass fed butter
- 1 Tbsp of vanilla essence
- 1 cup of full fat coconut cream
- 3 Tbsp of nut or seed butter (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Grease or line a 12 case muffin tin.
- Mix all dry ingredients in large bowl.
- Mix all wet ingredients, (using only 1/2 cup of coconut milk and reserving the rest for the icing). Blend to combine, then add the banana, I used a food processor to get the banana nice and smooth.
- Add the wet ingredients to dry and let mixture sit for a couple of minutes to let the coconut flour absorb the moisture.
- Spoon mixture into tin and bake for 20mins, until a skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to completely cool on a cooling rack.
- Once muffins have cooled, mix the coconut cream and nut/ seed spread (if using)
- Using a piping bag (or zip lock bag with a small hole cut in the corner) pile icing onto muffins. I topped mine with some extra banana stars for decoration, but feel free to use your creativity and add something that you (or the kids!) will love.
- Store muffins in fridge for 5 days.
NOTE- To make these portable for work/ school feel free to skip the icing option, they also freeze well, just wrap individually in glad wrap and they are ready to go!