Gluten, grain and dairy free.
This loaf is so yummy and is even an acceptable breakfast, in my opinion, ( I tried it for you and it works a treat 😉)
I’m absolutely loving baking at the moment, it’s such a lovely ritual in winter to fire up the oven and have the the smell of warm cake fill the house. There is something about baking that is good for the soul.
If it’s been a while since you have made a cake, save a recipe (maybe even this one) and get baking next time you have a spare moment. No one ever regrets making cake 😉
* 1 cup of almond meal
* 1/2 cup of quinoa flour or buckwheat flour
* 1/4 cup of coconut sugar
* 1 tsp of baking soda
* A large pinch of salt
* 3 Tbsp of poppy seeds
* 1 lemon
* 1 Orange
* 5 drops of orange essential oil (or the rind if the orange)
* 2 Tbsp of honey
* 2 large eggs
* 1/4 cup of coconut oil
Icing/ glaze ingredients:
* 3 Tbsp of coconut cream
* Juice of 1/2 an orange
* 3 drops of orange essential oil
* 1 Tbsp of honey
* 1/2 tsp of vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
2. Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
3. Squeeze all the juice from the lemon and orange and add to a separate bowl with the other wet ingredients. Mix well.
4. Add wet ingredients to dry and mix well.
5. Line a loaf tin with baking paper and pour in mixture.
6. Bake for 30mins.
7. To make the icing, add all ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend on high until smooth, scrapping down sides regularly.
8. You can either pour the mixture over the warm loaf for a glaze (pop in in a container so the cake absorbs the rest of the icing mix) or, you can pop the icing in the fridge and wait until the loaf has fully cooled for a thicker icing.
9. Sprinkle with a little orange rind.
10. Store in the fridge.